First Line Fridays – 11 May 2018

11 May

First Line Fridays is hosted by Hoarding Books

I never thought I would be sooo glad to sleep in my own bed! I got home Monday night after nearly three weeks on the road, including being busy on all the weekends – so my plan for Saturday and Sunday is to resemble a sloth as much as possible.
(normally i would insert a witty picture of couch sloth here…but i couldn’t find one I liked!). Anyways, on to my reading for this weekend – when I got home Monday night I had a package from St Martin’s Press which wouldn’t you know it, had an ARC for BA Paris’ new book in it. I honestly can’t remember if i signed up to receive it or if it was a gift from previously reviewing for them – either way, i’m not going to argue! Without further ado, here is my First Line Friday!

“We were on our way back from skiing in Megeve. I decided to stop in Paris on the way up as a surprise for Layla, because she had never been there before.”

Bring Me Back – B.A. Paris

From Goodreads:
A young British couple are driving through France on vacation when they stop at a service station. He runs in to use the restroom, she stays in the car. When he returns, her car door has been left open, but she’s not inside. No one ever sees her again.

Ten years later he’s engaged to be married; he’s happy, and his past is only a tiny part of his life now. Until he comes home from work one day and finds his new fiancee sitting on their sofa turning something over in her fingers, holding it up to the light. Something that would have no worth to anyone else, something only he and she would know about, because his wife-to-be is the sister of his missing first love.

As more and more questions are raised, their relationship becomes strained. Has his first love somehow come back to him after all this time? Or is the person who took her playing games with his mind?

Why FLF?
I just finished listening to The Breakdown by this author a month or so ago and she kept me on the literal edge of my seat during the entire 13hrs of the audiobook – which I didn’t think was possible. While I had an inkling of how I thought it would turn out, i was so far off base…so i’m hoping that Bring Me Back will keep me equally as much engaged and anticipatory!

Posted by on May 11, 2018 in First Line Fridays, Uncategorized

Tags: , ,

6 responses to “First Line Fridays – 11 May 2018

1. susandyer1962

May 11, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Happy Friday! Haha funny first line!😊 Welcome home Dee!😊

My first lines come from a book I will be reading later this month, The Christmas Sisters by Sarah Morgan.

There are good anniversaries, and bad anniversaries . This was a bad one and Suzanne chose to mark the moment with a nightmare.

Have a great weekend and Happy Reading!πŸ˜ŠπŸ“šπŸ’–

2. thebeccafiles

May 11, 2018 at 8:25 pm

I love the cover art!!
    The book I’m sharing on my blog is Unblemished by Sara Ella but I’m currently reading called The Road Home by Beverly Lewis. I shared the first line last week so I’ll share the first line of chapter 22 where I am right now: ” The next morning, after the four o’clock milking and a nice hot breakfast, Mimi suggested Harley take a lemon pound cake over to Abram Mast’s for his birthday.” Cake anyone? πŸ˜› (I actually don’t like lemon pound cake though lol).

May 14, 2018 at 1:51 am

how can you not like lemon pound cake – that has to be like a crime against humanity πŸ™‚ (oh well, all the more for me i guess)

3. Iola

May 12, 2018 at 3:40 am

Thirteen hours of audiobook? In a suspense novel? Did you have any fingernails left?

(This is why I rarely listen to audiobooks.)

I’m sharing the very long first line from A Defense of Honor from the new Haven Manor series by Kristi Ann Hunter on my blog today. It was one of those read-in-a-day books πŸ™‚

I’m currently reading Just Let Go by Courtney Walsh, a romance about a woman wanting to reconnect with the mother who abandoned her years ago. But the first line is from the viewpoint of the hero:

He shouldn’t be here.
    A diner in some little tourist town in Michigan was no place for Grady Benson, but here he was.

Have a great weekend!

May 14, 2018 at 1:51 am

i’d say it was more of a slower building suspense than a nail bitter πŸ™‚ but towards the end i did get close

4. hjsnyder28