First Line Fridays – 3 November 2017

03 Nov

First Line Friday’s is a weekly feature, hosted by Hoarding Books – so grab a book off your pile and share the first line

We had just started over the bridge, toward my party, when the famously cheerful “Don’t Jump” Ad clicked on.

From:
All Rights Reserved – Gregory Scott Katsoulis

I’ll admit that I’m a cover whore when it comes to picking books – and a bookcover that had a whole bunch of different words on it, all with various copyright and trademark nomenclature cause my eye. Reading the description (a society where you are charged for every word that you utter after your “Last Day”) made me even more intrigued by the premise. Although, honestly, somedays I think it would be interesting to live in a world when people were limited in what they could say. I know that I’ll be interested to see how the author develops the world and background but I can’t wait to read it.

Posted by on November 3, 2017 in First Line Fridays

Tags: , ,

13 responses to “First Line Fridays – 3 November 2017

1. Fiction Aficionado

November 3, 2017 at 10:34 am

Interesting premise for a book!

I’m featuring the first line from Pepper Basham’s ‘Charming the Troublemaker’ on my blog, but I’m going to leave you with the first line of a book I’ll be reviewing tomorrow, ‘The Bachelor Missions’ by Jes Drew:

“One bulky figure stands alone in the rain, keeping his head down–his identity obscured by a hat and large raincoat.”

2. Suzie W

November 3, 2017 at 12:34 pm

I’m going to have to look this one up!

The first line of the book I’m currently reading is:

England, December 23, 1813
    Holly Gray’s courage faded with every step she took deeper inside the castle conservatory where, according to Grandfather’s stories, a ghost resided.

Christmas Secrets by Donna Hatch

3. susandyer1962

November 3, 2017 at 12:43 pm

You know I’m a cover whore too Dee!

My first line is from Holly and Ivy by Fern Michaels:

“You’re too young to be hanging around with a bunch of old ladies. You need to be with girls your own age,” Daniel Greenwood explained to his eleven-year-old daughter, Holly.

Have a great weekend!

4. joyofreadingweb

November 3, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Hi Dee! I thought I’d let you know that your link on the HoardingBooks site isn’t working (I just typed your web address into my browser). I just thought you may like to know, because I’d want to know if mine didn’t work. 🙂

Over on my blog I’m sharing the first line from Sarah Monzon’s latest book just released this week; “The Esther Paradigm”. I’m just over half-way through the book, and I’m loving the story. But you’ll have to go over there to read the first line for The Esther Paradigm. Here I’ll share with you the first line from an older favorite.

Bedford, England — May 1659
    “The babe’s crying would rip her heart to shreds if she had to listen to it one more minute.” — The Preacher’s Bride by Jody Hedlund

November 3, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Thanks – I’ll check it out

5. lelandandbecky

November 3, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Happy Friday!

My first line is from Pepper Basham’s Charming the Troublemaker:

“Loser ex-husbands and freezing January afternoons left a nasty chill.”

November 3, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Haha!

6. hjsnyder28

November 3, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Happy Friday!

7. Iola

November 4, 2017 at 12:49 am

I get your fascination with the cover. As if the yellow wasn’t attention-seeking enough, that title … and the first line … It’s a great illustration of how a good author can give a lot of information in so few words.

I’m sharing from Blue Ridge Sunrise by Denise Hunter on my blog today, and I’m currently reading the Regency Brides collection. Here’s the first line to the second novella in the book, Masquerade Melody by Angela Bell:

Whoever coined the phrase to “bite one’s tongue” was sorely mistaken in believing that silence inflicted mere physical harm.

November 4, 2017 at 12:50 am

Hmmm intriguing

8. Becky

November 4, 2017 at 1:55 pm

This sounds intriguing. Thanks for sharing Dee!

I’m featuring The Princess Bride on my blog, but I’m currently reading Meg Mitchell & the Secret of the Journals by Kimberly McNeil so I’ll share that here.

Prologue
    If I say I go to the White Raven for the food, I’d be lying, and I’m a journalist, which means I don’t lie.

Happy Friday!

9. tmurrell02

November 5, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Interesting first line.

My first line is “Sometimes leading also means following. Sometimes being first means you actually arrive second.” Service Tales by Ace Collins

November 6, 2017 at 1:16 am