First Lines Friday – 20 October 2017

20 Oct

First Line Friday’s is a weekly feature, hosted by Hoarding Books – so grab a book off your pile and share the first line

Jack Avery stared at the scene before him while sucking on a cherry lollipop his godson Aiden had given him.

From:
Running With a Sweet Talker – Jami Albright

A few months ago, I borrowed a book from Amazon Kindle Unlimited called Running from the Rock Star. What I didn’t know at the time was a) how much I was going to enjoy it and b) that the author would end up on my auto-buy list PDQ (pretty darn quick). There was something fresh about her writing, which was very needed as a run of a few less than stellar reads. So when I got an email from her a couple weeks ago, asking if I wanted to review the next book in the series – i’m pretty sure my response was something that went, not only yes, but heck yeah (or maybe gimme gimme gimme). With Dewey Read-a-thon this week (although I’m not fully participating), Running with a Sweet Talker is on the top of my to-read pile.

Posted by on October 20, 2017 in First Line Fridays, Uncategorized

Tags:

12 responses to “First Lines Friday – 20 October 2017

1. Becky

October 20, 2017 at 4:22 pm

That’s an interesting first line. Haha.

I’m sharing about Isaiah’s Daughter by Mesu Andrews on the blog today, but here I’m going to share the first line from The Esther Paradigm by Sarah Monzon.

Prologue
    Hannah Pratt stared out across the grainy hills as the wind blew a gentle kiss over the crest.

Chapter 1
    Hannah
    This was not how I’d thought I would die.

Happy Friday!

2. Beth Erin

October 20, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Gotta love a guy secure enough to enjoy a lollypop, lol! Here’s the first line from my next read:
    “Fowltown Village, Georgia
    Big Chestnut Moon (October) 1817
    Captain Marcus Buck dropped to one knee beside an Indian’s crumpled form and swept a hand down her face, lowering her lids over sightless eyes.”
    Drawn by the Frost Moon: Bitter Eyes No More by April W. Gardner

October 20, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Ohhh that first line is intriguing – will have to check out author

3. hjsnyder28

October 20, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Hilarious first line! Happy Friday!

October 20, 2017 at 8:29 pm

I know! He was kind of a jackass in the first book in series – so hopefully she redeems him

4. Iola

October 20, 2017 at 9:16 pm

I can understand your gimme-gimme-gimme reaction – that cover screams Read Me! Now! (And I’ve never even heard of Jami Albright.

I’m sharing from The Dishonourable Miss DeLancy over on my blog, but I’m currently reading The Captive Brides collection. I’ve just started Waltzing Matilda by Lucy Thompson. Here’s the first line:

Matilda Brampton took one more look at the walls of the Parramatta Female Factory and vowed it would be her last.

October 21, 2017 at 12:05 am

Hmmm I’m intrigued by your quote…another book to add to Mt I-wanna-read

5. Anneliese Dalaba

October 21, 2017 at 12:29 am

I’ve not seen this book yet, but after reading your comments about this author, I think I might give her a try. I’m featuring A Most Peculiar Circumstance by Jen Turano on my blog, but here I will share the first line from a novel I recently published called Reluctant To Wed. “Sitting in her grandfather’s traveling coach, Emma suddenly felt the impact of her decision.”

October 21, 2017 at 12:30 am

She was a total random read but totally worth it!

6. joyofreadingweb

October 21, 2017 at 12:53 am

On my page I shared the first line from Heather Day Gilbert’s “God’s Daughter” a fantastic story rich in viking history. I would highly recommend the book to anyone who enjoys Historical Fiction.

I’ll share here an old favorite of mine “Heidi”
    From the old and pleasantly situated village of Mayenfeld, a footpath winds through green and shady meadows to the food of the mountains, which on this side look down from their stern and lofty heights upon the valley below.

October 21, 2017 at 12:54 am

It’s been years since I’ve read Heidi

7. Carrie

October 21, 2017 at 6:48 pm

ooo that looks like a fun book!!

My current first line is from Love Held Captive by Shelley Shepard Gray: “There was almost nothing there. Almost.”