First Line Fridays – 13 October 2017

13 Oct

First Line Friday’s is a weekly feature, hosted by Hoarding Books – so grab a book off your pile and share the first line

Caroline’s wrist turned an flicked as the steel tongue of her crochet hook dipped in and ut, mirroring the movement of the fiddle’s bow.

From:
Caroline: Little House, Revisited – Sarah Miller

When I saw a preview of this book show up in my email, I KNEW that I had to read it. As an 7(ish) year old, I devoured the Little House on the Prairie books as well as watching reruns of the TV (running home from school to watch it at 3pm with a snack was like a daily routine). I’ve really enjoyed some of the other retellings of classic books that I’ve read recently (and equally excited about some of the other upcoming ones I’ve seen authors I follow talk about…like Marilla from Anne of Green Gables).

I’m only a chapter into Caroline so far – but I have a feeling that its going to be a great read!

Posted by on October 13, 2017 in First Line Fridays

Tags: ,

13 responses to “First Line Fridays – 13 October 2017

1. Mary Fisher

October 13, 2017 at 9:38 am

I’m a few chapters into the book and it is sooo good, I do remember Caroline Ingels and while the Tv show focused on the children it is interesting to ‘see’ Caroline’s thoughts about moving west.

October 13, 2017 at 11:48 pm

definitely – I’ve only read the first couple chapters so far – they just left the little house in the big woods – but the thought she put into what to take as they left was interesting

2. susandyer1962

October 13, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Here is my first line from The Welcome Home Diner by Peggy Lampman

If you’re the last person to leave Detroit, don’t forget to turn off the lights.

Have a great weekend!!

3. susandyer1962

October 13, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Just requested Caroline from the library!!

Thank you Dee!

October 13, 2017 at 11:47 pm

i’m such a good influence I know

4. Lance

October 13, 2017 at 11:15 pm

Given what I usually read, this is a boring post. From “Defying Expectations” : “Soccer is America’s new favorite sport.” Book is about an English businessman who owns a very successful professional soccer team in Orlando

October 13, 2017 at 11:47 pm

lol – sounds about right!

5. JaneReads

October 14, 2017 at 12:29 am

This is the second time this week this book has been mentioned to me, a sign maybe?

I am currently reading Deadly Proof by Rachel Dylan. The first line is: “You can’t call that a settlement offer.”

6. Becky

October 14, 2017 at 11:48 am

I need to read this! Great first line. 🙂

I’m featuring Lu. by Beth Troy on my blog today, but here I shall share the book I’m currently reading.

“They rode in silence, the murmur of Alex’s expensive late-model white SUV lulling Astrid into drowsiness.”
    -Colors of Christmas by Olivia Newport

Happy Weekend!

7. Iola Goulton (@IolaGoulton)

October 16, 2017 at 9:11 am

What an intriguing cover!

My First Line Friday post this week was from The Secret Life of Sarah Hollenbeck by Bethany Turner – wonderful! I’m currently reading The Engagement Plot by Krista Phillips. Here’s the first line:

Hanna Knight clicked the Power button on the radio as she inched the Dodge Ram pickup down the snow-covered highway. Embarrass, Minnesota, was only a few miles farther.

Embarrass as a place name? That’s even weirder than Iola (yes, Iola is a place name: Iola, Wisconsin, and Iola, Kansas).

8. lelandandbecky

October 16, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Sorry that I didn’t get this posted on Friday. I want to share the first line from the first chapter instead of from the prologue: (This is a REALLY fun book to read!)

A New Shade of Summer by Nicole Deese:

“I jiggled the locked doorknob again and wished, not for the first time, that it was legal to use tranquilizer darts on adolescent boys.”

October 23, 2017 at 9:08 pm

ugh – this got caught in my spam filter and I just saw it! sorry!

haha – I could get behind using tranquilizer darts on adolescent boys (as well as annoying coworkers!)

9. hjsnyder28