Dishing with Dee….I cut the cord

27 Jun

dishing with dee 2

I’ve been talking about it for a while, but today I FINALLY made the jump and cut the cord, or is that cable – I cancelled my cable TV service. I’ve had cable for years, and every year the cost has been slowly creeping up, just a few dollars here and there, but when I looked at my cable bill this last month, I realized that I was paying over $200 (for internet/TV and phone) and probably only using one of three parts of the package (the internet). So while I was out running errands today, I swung by Best Buy and got an Amazon FireTV stick. This will allow me to access Hulu, Netflix and SlingTV, as well as all the TV shows available via Amazon Prime…then I called Comcast and cancelled my cable. I will admit, I was surprised how easy the woman on the phone made it – I’d heard these horror stories about people trying to cancel and honestly, I’ll withhold judgement until I get my bill next month – but it was fairly pain free.

So the current status of TV in my house – Hulu, Netflix, SlingTV (a basic package that has Food Network, ABC Family, Lifetime, a few sports channels) and Amazon Prime. I’ve gone frmo $217 a month to about $110 (not including my Amazon Prime that I pay on a yearly basis). Which means, more money for triathlon fun 😉

What about you – would you be able to take the plunge or have you already?

Posted by on June 27, 2015 in Dishing with Dee

Tags:

6 responses to “Dishing with Dee….I cut the cord

1. Hayson Manning

June 28, 2015 at 6:56 am

I’m thinking along your lines, Dee. We have hundreds of channels – including the Fishing Channel because that channel’s enthralling 🙂 and we watch about five channels

June 29, 2015 at 1:02 pm

maybe check out SlingTV as a limited channel option – I’m happy to pay for it because it has Food Network, which is the vast majority of what I watch – but loving it so far

2. WordsAndPeace

June 29, 2015 at 4:46 am

good for you! we totally got rid of TV about 6 years ago and love it! It was getting close to $100 and that was too much for us. Much more time for reading. We only have an old TV set, just good enough to watch DVDs from our amazing local library.
    so only paying for internet. my smartphone works with tracfone, so I pay only between $5 to $10/month. good size data. and with $10 you get 1,000 txt

June 29, 2015 at 1:01 pm

i pay $20 for unlimited texts – since I use that more than I do actual talking…my cell contract expires in a couple of months and i’m going to move to a cheaper plan or different provider, not sure yet – but can’t afford the verizon plan that i’ve had for over 10 years now

• Samantha

July 5, 2015 at 2:51 am

Wow…even the cell phone? I’m actually calling my cable provider on Monday. It is just too much.

July 6, 2015 at 1:15 pm

probably a different provider – i have friends that did the same – using a pay as you go type deal, rather than a flat fixed month…why pay $120 a month, when I could pay $65