2015 First Book of the Year

02 Jan

first book of the year

Picking the first book to start in the new year is always a fun venture. Do I re-read a favorite that I have indulged in many times? A new book by a favorite author? A new release? Do I tackle one of the books loitering on my to-read pile or buy something brand spanking new? Those were just a few thoughts going through my mind as I considered how to approach this momentous task – because honestly, that first book of the year sets you up for your year or reading – if you start with a mediocre book, is that how your year is going to be? or vice versa, if you have a mind-blowing awesome book, then you are on track for a great year!

When I started considering the book I was going to start on the 1st (because that is how I decided to approach the task), I really only knew one thing – that the book somehow needed to find into one of the reading challenges I was doing in 2015.

the winter guestAfter much thought and consider, tossing and turning, I decided that my first book of 2015 would be The Winter Guest by Pam Jenoff. This will be my first stand-alone novel by this author, although, I did read and enjoy her contribution to an anthology in 2014.

The Winter Guest – Pam Jenoff
World War 2 Historical Fiction
Life is a constant struggle for the eighteen-year-old Nowak twins as they raise their three younger siblings in rural Poland under the shadow of the Nazi occupation. The constant threat of arrest has made everyone in their village a spy, and turned neighbor against neighbor. Though rugged, independent Helena and pretty, gentle Ruth couldn’t be more different, they are staunch allies in protecting their family from the threats the war brings closer to their doorstep with each passing day.

Then Helena discovers an American paratrooper stranded outside their small mountain village, wounded, but alive. Risking the safety of herself and her family, she hides Sam—a Jew—but Helena’s concern for the American grows into something much deeper. Defying the perils that render a future together all but impossible, Sam and Helena make plans for the family to flee. But Helena is forced to contend with the jealousy her choices have sparked in Ruth, culminating in a singular act of betrayal that endangers them all—and setting in motion a chain of events that will reverberate across continents and decades.

I’m looking forward to reading and starting off 2015 in style.

What was/is your first book of 2015?

Posted by on January 2, 2015 in Reading Challenges

14 responses to “2015 First Book of the Year

1. Lance

January 2, 2015 at 1:59 pm

As is typical for me, my first book dealt with my non-human true love, baseball. Even better it that it was about my favorite team, the Minnesota Twins and their win in the 1991 World Series – “Down to the Last Pitch”

I am also going to include more romance/erotica in 2015 than I did in 2014 as I veered away from that too much. My first audio book will be one of Megan Hart’s older books that I can borrow on mp3 from my library – just haven’t decided which one yet. I discovered Ms. Hart in 2014 and found out I love her writing, so I will be looking for more from her.

January 2, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I like Megan Hart but I end up feeling mentally exhausted after reading her stuff – only listened to 1 of her books (a short story) several years ago

2. Sheila (Book Journey)

January 2, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Looks like a good choice. I am working on Station Eleven 🙂

January 2, 2015 at 2:30 pm

i’ve seen that pop up on my goodreads feed a few times – it sounds intriguing – I may have to check it out 😉 looking forward to your review

3. Samantha

January 2, 2015 at 9:56 pm

That book sounds intriguing, Dee.

Megan Hart has been a hit or miss for me.

My first book was Raze by Tillie Cole. Too many people in one of my GR groups mentioned it so I gave it a shot. Enjoyed it.

I have been leaning towards Romantic Suspense lately. I have a few other books to read and then I plan to tackle some more RS books 🙂

January 3, 2015 at 1:51 pm

i like ROMSUS when the focus is on the Suspense, rather than the Romance – which makes it harder…probably why I tend to go for straight romance or straight suspense, rather than the mix

4. Elizabeth (Silver's Reviews)

January 3, 2015 at 1:37 pm

I read The Paris Winter. Loved it. I love Pam Jenoff’s books.

I hope you love The Paris Winter too.

Awesome Blog.

Happy New Year!!

Elizabeth
    Silver’s Reviews
    My First Book Of The Year

January 3, 2015 at 1:52 pm

i’m looking forward to it – i LOVE finding new authors to read

5. Brona

January 5, 2015 at 4:22 am

Well done for getting your year of reading challenges off to a flying start 🙂

Happy New Year & Happy Reading!

January 6, 2015 at 1:58 pm

now to see if I can keep it up 😉

6. Mary

January 5, 2015 at 11:56 pm

This sounds really good. I need to try one of Jenoff’s books.

January 6, 2015 at 1:58 pm

i discovered her in Grand Central – it was a WW2 historical fiction anthology – lots of great authors in it and one of my few 5 star reads of the year

7. Tien

January 31, 2015 at 10:21 am

was just going to ask how you find it then I decided to check GR first… will you finish it this year?

I started with Embrace by Jessica Shirvington (YA paranormal -angel stuff) and it was pretty good. Quite happy with my first book of the year 🙂 -err, it was for Scattershelves

January 31, 2015 at 11:49 pm

yeah, I’m going to rerequest from the library – someone else wanted to borrow it, so no renews…plus its on my Moving Mountains list – so I got to 😉