So this is my first official year of participating in Dewey’s Read-A-Thon even though, I’ve heard about it before. And per my norm, I’m signing up at the last minute (like less than 24 hours before it starts)…haha! So my thoughts for my intro right now are probably a bit scattered, but I’ll try to get them down on paper, and then maybe be a bit more coherent in my kick-off post tomorrow am (or as coherent as I can be at 8am on a Saturday, after completing a 2.5 hour bike ride, and then 4 mile run, which I’ll be doing at 4am (ish)).
Goals for the Challenge:
* Last the entire 24 hours – ok, well, I know that probably isn’t going to happen – even in college, I sucked at pulling all-nighters, and I never perfected the art of power-napping – when I’m down, I’m down for the count. So I guess I should make my official goal, somewhere around 20 hours (give or take).
* Finish up at least 3 of the books I currently have in process BEFORE I start any new ones…I’m not sure if this violates any unwritten rules of the challenge about starting fresh, but I have some books that need to be finished, they’ve been staring at me for entirely too long – books/status of each to follow
* Make sure to listen to audiobooks if/when I have to leave the house – hey, even a couple of minutes listening in the car adds to the tally – and I know that I have errands and the like to run – maybe I’ll be lucky enough to hit an hour of listening…we’ll see
* Attempt to not completely live on junk food for the 24 hours (as tempting as it is) – my trainer who designs my workout sessions may kill me – haha (well, she won’t, but I know I’ll regret it when I hit my workout on Sunday).
* Try to find some different places to read, so that I can get out of the house, even for an hour…so far, I have on my list: the Library; Books-A-Million (bonus they have a coffee shop for a break); Starbucks (gotta have my morning coffee); Backyard in the Sun (fingers crossed for nice weather – although this will involve throwing a dirty Frisbee for my dog, who is obsessed); the Nail Salon while I get a Pedicure (hey, its summer and my toes…well, words can’t describe) and last but not least, IHOP (when I need that 2am pick me up…mmm, pancakes and bacon).
Books to be Read:
I’m a very much go with the flow kind of reader, so I don’t really have a pretty stack of planned books to read right now – I currently have 25 books checked out from the library, plus like over 1000 on my kindle (and that is on the low side), so I’m pretty sure I’ll find something to read. I am going to try and be diverse in my genres though, so that I don’t spend 24 hours(ish) just reading romance (although I easily could – lol).
Must haves include Hummus with Pita Chips, Hummus with Veggies (carrots, celery, broccoli), Water (and lots of it), Coffee (preferably in IV form), Cheese Sticks (8 minutes oven to plate) and probably some kind of soup or some easy to grab…or throw something in the crockpot before the fun and games start and just eat as needed (ohhh that’s an idea). And how can I forget chocolate and cheese…those are must haves.
I’m planning on trying to update every 2-3 hours – but I don’t have any posts prepared or anything like that. I do like that WordPress, that I use for my blog host, has a quick update format that I can post from the app on my phone, so I may make use of that while I am out and about.
Is it time to start yet? I’m soo excited – looking forward to seeing what mini-challenges people have, tweeting away when I need a sanity break and in general, having an excuse to be a bum for a day (like I really need an excuse). And now, I have to go and knock out a 4 mile run before I can continue preps