Feature & Follow (4)

31 Aug

So this week, it looks like Parajunkee and Alison Can Read, the hosts of this great meme have 2 different questions – so i’m going to answer them both 😉

Q: Best Cover? What is the best cover of a book that you’ve read and didn’t like?

This question came from Parajunkee and made me think. So often I am drawn in by a cover and then the book is only so-so…so I went to dig through my goodreads records of books that I have read this year and since I am sitting at 250+ books it took a few minutes. But I finally found one. I think I might be one of the few people in the world who read, but didn’t really enjoy Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally. It wasn’t so much the romance aspect of the book that I had issues with (although there were some that I had, mostly focused on a TSTL high school female…and yes, I remember being like that once), but rather the perpetuating of the dumb jock stereotype (taking shop class as a senior in high school, while trying to get into the University of Alabama), or the fact that the author used a real NFL team in the book but made up her own players (I would have preferred that she make up a team – would have made it more believable). But I did like the cover – very simple, whimsical and you can obviously tell that it is going to be a YA romance off the bat.

Q: Best cover? What is the best cover of a book that you’ve read and loved?
Alison Can Read’s question was much easier to answer and I knew what book I was going to use as soon as I read it. The cover of Daughter of Smoke and Bone immediately drew me to it and I was soon sucked into the audiobook. The narrator was awesome and only served to enhance the plot. This book had a great mix of contemporary and fantasy elements and made me want to visit Prague. I loved the mysterious nature of the cover, the person with the mask trying to hide their identity, but at the same time, the blue of the mask marking them more of as an individual. This book got my first 5 star read of the one, and one of only 5 that I have given out so far. However, I am now stuck waiting (albeit rather impatiently for the next book to come out, and the cover for it, seems to be equally as great and mysterious).

Posted by on August 31, 2012 in Blog Hop, Feature & Follow

Tags: , , , , ,

9 responses to “Feature & Follow (4)

1. Gwynneth White

August 31, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Hello Old Follower returning. I agree, Daughter of Smoke and Bone has an amazing cover.

2. setaian

August 31, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I so love this cover for My Life as a White Trash Zombie. And the book was totally awesome as well. http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1326145463l/9640626.jpg
    Also feeling the love for And One Last Thing (Molly Harper); No Peace for the Damned (Megan Powell); The Siren (Tiffany Reisz).

Great covers on awful books is tougher. Maybe To Kill a Warlock http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1334956305l/13608100.jpg That book just fell flat for some reason. I think Rachel Caine’s Morganville Vampire books have some pretty hip covers, but when those books aren’t annoying me with the constant bleating of the main characters, they are offending me.

3. Liesel Hill

August 31, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Both great covers! Old follower. My FFs are at musingsonfantasia.blogspot.com and lkhill.blogspot.com. Happy Friday!

4. ensconcedya

August 31, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I still need to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone! Great choice!

New follower via Twitter.

Ensconced in YA
    My FF

August 31, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I hope you like it – it blew me away – I can’t wait for the second one

5. Adina

August 31, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Really great covers especially Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Loved that book 🙂
    New follower via RSS

6. Cassi Haggard

August 31, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I really like Daughter of Smoke and Bone’s cover too. So pretty!

My follow friday! Please visit!

7. 365 Books A Year (@365Books_A_Year)

September 1, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Hi Dee,
    Thanks for visiting my FF. Can’t tell if you’re following me- I don’t know how to check for email followers very well. I’m kind of techno-challenged. (For example, on the WordPress comment thing, where you have to fill out email, name, website. I’ve been filling them all out until I realized last week that you could just use Twitter to log in) But I’m following you via email, subscription confirmed.

I don’t know why, but I thought the cover for Catching Jordan was kind of sweet. I did put this book on my TBR. But I’ve seen pretty much consistently mediocre through bad reviews. So, I guess if I can get the book free from a friend or library, I may try it. But it’s not a book I plan on buying anymore. I did like Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Looking forward to the next book.

September 1, 2012 at 11:16 pm

i’m following you on Twitter now, don’t know about your blog – I think so…lol! i’ll have to check

I liked the Catching Jordan cover as well, but was disappointed in the book – maybe 5 years ago when YA was gaining in popularity it would have been good, but now, compared to many of the books out there – its mediocre 😦