Recommend A…Book By A Debut Author

20 Aug

Kiss the Morning Star – Elissa Janine Hoole
Amazon Children’s Publishing – May 15, 2012
Harcover – 240 pages

Purchase from Amazon Kiss the Morning Star (Hardcover) or Kiss the Morning Star (Kindle – or you can borrow for free as part of their Kindle Lending Library)

The summer after high-school graduation, a year after her mother’s tragic death, Anna has no plans – beyond her need to put a lot of miles between herself and the past. With forever friend Kat, a battered copy of Kerouac’s DHARMA BUMS, and a car with a dodgy oil filter, the girls set out on an epic road trip across the USA. Maybe somewhere along the way they’ll prove or disprove the existence of God. Maybe they’ll even get laid . . .

All I can say after finishing this book was, oh gawd, was I that awkward and idiotic as a teenager…well, actually, they weren’t that bad – but looking at them through the eyes of someone over a decade older than they were, I felt like if they were my kids, I never would have trusted them on a cross-country trip. But that being said, their idiocy and naivity in parts, is what made it a fun and cute read. Plus I just love the cover. Although it isn’t disclosed on the book jacket, it should be pointed out that there is some same gender relationships that develop – this didn’t bother me, but it did take me a bit by surprise, so you are warned

Posted by on August 20, 2012 in Recommend A...

Tags: , , , , , , ,

8 responses to “Recommend A…Book By A Debut Author

1. Mary @ My zSisters Bookshelf

August 20, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Oh same sex is a plus! This seems like a less annoying ev rsion of Amy and Rogers Epic Detour! Do you know that one? I did not buy the attitude of the parents there so I’d probably believe this one!

August 20, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I haven’t read it, but i’ve heard of it…this was a bit fade to black scenes, but you could see the relationship develop…its been interesting seeing the rise of YA GLBT fiction over the last few years (Shine, I Am J, this one)

2. Becky @ Bibliognome

August 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Sounds like a great read, road trip stories are always interesting. 🙂

August 20, 2012 at 5:14 pm

they are…I always wish I could have done a road trip like that as a teen

3. Bonnie (@missbonnie13)

August 20, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Love road trip stories… always makes me wish I had a story to tell like that!
    My debut pick!

August 20, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I know!!

• Samantha

August 21, 2012 at 12:26 am

So how many stars would you give this one?

August 21, 2012 at 12:28 am