Moby Dick Big Read

01 Jan

Moby Dick Moby Dick is one of those books that I have been scared to read. I don’t know why, but I think mainly the size of it and what I have heard about it, have made me not want to read it. But then I read The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach which used Melville’s works as a basis for the symbology in the book. It made me intrigued…

Then in late 2012, I saw the Moby Dick Big Read advertised – this was a program that saw each chapter of Moby Dick recorded by a different narrator and made available online for free (yes, free…). While the initial big read started in October 2012, I didn’t find out about it until after then, so decided to start my own read/listen of it on January 1, 2013.

If anyone is interested in reading/listening along, feel free to join in. We are going to use the study guide found HERE for discussion points, so the break down will be as follows:

Part 1 – Chapters 1-21 – Discussion questions to be posted around 20/21 January
Part 2 – Chapters 22-42 – Discussion questions to be posted around 10/11 February
Part 3 – Chapters 43-65 – Discussion questions to be posted around 5/6 March
Part 4 – Chapters 66-86 – Discussion questions to be posted around 26/27 March
Part 5 – Chapters 87-135 (end) – Discussion questions to be posted around 14/15 April

Hope to see you here – you are in for a whale of a tale (yes, a very bad pun, I know!) – sign-up below if you want to join in – I’m not savvy enough to figure out how to do a linky widget ;)

Posted by on January 1, 2013 in Classics Challenge, Read-Along

Tags: , , ,

6 responses to “Moby Dick Big Read

1. Christine

January 1, 2013 at 2:08 am

I am in! And, you just inspired me to go buy The Art of Fielding, which just happens to be the kindle daily deal today.

January 1, 2013 at 2:24 am

I love being an enabler – I liked the Art of Fielding, but it is very baseball heavy…and could have used a good edit in a few places…will be interested to hear your thoughts

2. pinkkitty

January 1, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I’ve started it- I always wanted to read this, but for some reason was intimatated.
    So I’m glad we’re reading it.

January 1, 2013 at 8:08 pm

glad for you to join us – i look forward to your thoughts!

3. Vikk Simmons

January 2, 2013 at 2:29 am

I’ve been going through the Moby Dick Big Read since it started; however, I got off track about a month ago and am playing catch up. If I don’t make it on time, I’ll be here. Love the book and so much more humor than I ever imagined.

January 2, 2013 at 9:39 pm

well, hopefully you’ll get caught up – if not, we’d love to have you!